Question : Solarwinds Orion - The one to go for?

Hi all,

We are about to purchase Solarwinds Orion and just before we do, want to get some real-user feedback.

I would really like the bad points rather than the good ones, but anything you think might be helpful in confirming or changing our decision will be rewarded.

Just to put this in context, we want to start offering a managed service whereby we can remotely manage and monitor multiple clients' networks from a single interface.  i.e. We want to charge our customers a fee to watch their networks for problem areas and failures.

If you know of a product that may work better than Orion, please let me know.  

Cost is not an issue.

Many thanks.

James.

Answer : Solarwinds Orion - The one to go for?

We use Orion and for what we need to monitor and it is great.  We currenlty monitor 16 WAN links and certain devices accross those WAN's.  It basically will monitor device up down and traffic stats.  It does a good job with Cisco as far as RAM, NET and Processor utilization.  Windows servers does a good job with RAM, NET and Hard Drive space monitoring.  You can also have multiple Orion servers to offload the work.  You can also create good network Maps.  Other nice things are customizable alerts.  We of course monitor node up down.  Other things are nice alerts we use are interface errors on our T-1's.  Also it has links from the web interface of the device to logon to telnet and web enabled devices.

Bad points.  Hmmm?  Not customizable with MIB's, but so far not a real downside to us.  You have to wait for Orion to come out with them in a software update.

Rich
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us