Question : IPv6 network setup

I would like to set up an IPv6 network at home just to get a handle on IPv6.

My home lab equipment (not in use):  2xCisco 2514, 2xCisco 1604, 1xPIX 501

I'd like to have 2 PCs on a network segment using just IPv6, encapsulated/translated to IPv4 to get out to network.

PCs will be XP SP2 (initially) and maybe Longhorn beta and RHEL 3 later (just for exposure)

I'm a professional network architect but have no IPv6 experience so I can't even address basic questions lon IPv6 like how to set up a simple LAN using IPv6

Any direction would be appreciated.

Answer : IPv6 network setup

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/ipv6faq.mspx

========
Q.      Why can't I ping an address that begins with FE80?

A.      

The IPv6 protocol for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP with SP1, and Windows XP with SP2 includes an IPv6-capable Ping.exe tool. The new Ping sends ICMPv6 Echo Request messages to the specified destination and displays round-trip time statistics on the corresponding Echo Reply messages. To ping using an IPv6 address, the Ping.exe syntax is the following: ping IPv6Address [%ZoneID]

The ZoneID option specifies the scope or zone of the destination for the ICMPv6 Echo Request messages. For link-local addresses, the zone identifier (ID) is typically equal to the interface index, as displayed in the output of the netsh interface ipv6 show interface command. For site-local addresses, the zone ID is equal to the site number, as displayed in the output of the netsh interface ipv6 show interface level=verbose command. If multiple sites are not being used, a zone ID for site-local addresses is not required. You can also obtain the zone ID from the display of the Ipconfig command. The number after the "%" character in the display of an address indicates the zone ID. The zone ID is not needed when the destination is a global address.

For example, to send Echo Request messages to the link-local address FE80::260:97FF:FE02:6EA5 using zone ID 4 (the interface index of an installed Ethernet adapter), use the following command:

ping fe80::260:97ff:fe02:6ea5%4

Because the zone ID is locally defined, the zone ID of the sending host may not be the same as the zone ID of the destination host for the same zone. For example, for Host A and Host B connected the same link, Host A's zone ID for the link is 4 and Host B's zone ID for the link is 3. When Host A pings Host B, the zone ID used in the ping command is 4. When Host B pings Host A, the zone ID used in the ping command is 3.
=========
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us