Question : VMware Server - increase VMFS-Store

We use an ESX v3.02 VMware Server to host several virtual machines. Due to the size of our company we only use local SAS drives (RAID-5) for our VMFS file system. We now have the need to increase our VMFS store. I added an additional drive to the RAID-5 set thus to increase the volume size. So far everything worked fine. But how can I increase the VMFS store now? All investigations in various documents and newsgroups  did not show a solution path so far. Does anyone have a solution for me? Appreciate any help.

Answer : VMware Server - increase VMFS-Store

Hi markuswaibel

As you have simply grown the RAID logical drive, there will not be another VMFS parition to attach as an extent to the current VMFS volume.

You will need to format the unused space in your RAID drive as a second VMFS partition. If you look at the storage configuration in the VirtualCenter client, is there a "Add storage" link? This should show you the remaining space in your RAID drive which you can format as a new VMFS partition and then add as a extent to the current physical volume.

Are you able to take this environment offline? Best practice would be to rebuild and reinstall the ESX server as a single VMFS parition (or get your employer to buy you a SAN!)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us