Question : Monitor bandwidth of each computer on the network

Hello,
  We have ADSL connection shared by 20 computers. I want to monitor bandwitdh usage of each computer or IP. Brand of the ADSL modem is AirTies but I do not know the model (if necessary I can learn). Modem supports SNMP and I know the password of the modem.
I can not install any software to each computer since they are not mine but I can install any software to my computer which can be open 24 hours/day.
I tried MRTG and PRTG but they showed total bandwidth usage. I suppose PRTG is able to do what I want but I do not know how to configure it (maybe OID is required but I did not see any OID in the control panel of the modem)

Thank you.

Answer : Monitor bandwidth of each computer on the network

No.  SNMP is what MRTG and PRTG uses.  SNMP can only give you the total amount of traffic going through the modem.

You can't get what each indvidual user is doing with it.

I am not sure 100% sure that Dually681 solution will work either.  It depends on what the modem (and the intergrated firewall) does log.  If it logs each indvidual connection and total traffic that was transfered on the connection, then using a syslog sever (such as Kiwi) you will see the informtion.  If the modem does not log indvidual connections you won't.  I can't read the documentation to know what the modem logs or does not log.

I know for sure that a HUB and NTOP will work as NTOP is designed to do exactly what you are asking.  All you need to do is get the traffic to the PC running NTOP.  

You would want:

Modem
                                                            /\
                                                             |
                                                            \/
   "your computers" <----> Switch <---> HUB
                                                            /\
                                                             |
                                                            \/
                                                         Monitoring PC running NTOP

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us