Question : Install New Tape Drive

We run netware 5.1

I want to install a new internal tape drive.  After the drive is physically installed, I know I will need to load the drivers for it.  Can anyone tell me how this is done?

Thanks!
Scott

Answer : Install New Tape Drive

First, it depends on the version of BE - older BE versions didn't do backup to disk, period.  Second, you'd have to use the service on NT that makes it look like a NetWare 2 or 3 server, so the NetWare server can recognize the disk as a NetWare volume.  Then, you'd have to configure BE to recognize the NT volume as a location to back up to.

Are you planning to use Windoze for more than email?  If not, fine.  If so, then you should start planning to use something other than the native Windoze backup utility for your backup solution.  Just some side advice.

Also (more side advice) if you're a relatively small shop (under 100 users for the forseeable future,) and the only thing you use Windoze for is email, you might want to try to budget an upgrade from NW5.1 and Windoze/whatever email you've got, to Novell Small Business Suite 6.6.  It is really reasonably priced (quite a bit cheaper than Microsoft's SB offering), has NetWare 6.5 (on up to 5 servers, with 2-node clustering included), GroupWise 6.5 (with a free upgrade to GW7 if you have upgrade protection), BorderManager 3.8 and ZENworks Desktop Management 6.5 (probably the same uprade to 7, too). You can check it out at http://www.novell.com/products/smallbiz/

Then, you can migrate your email to NetWare/GroupWise and use the big-ass server with the nice tape drive that's being wasted on Windoze.  Then, do a competitive upgrade from BE to CA BrightStor ARCserve 11.5 for NetWare.  (Symantec/Veritas has dropped the NetWare-based product line - no great loss, 'cause BE sucks anyway, IMHO.)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us