Question : Email auto-reply problem (vacation program)

I believe that here's the right place to put this question, most of the mail experts are here.

Here's my situation:

All the staff in the organization has a standard email address, eg: [email protected] and the mailhost of the orgnization  maintains the email aliases and foward the emails to the REAL mail servers.

The department has it own subnet (sun domain), it is use NIS+ (mainly Solaris boxes) and it has its own mail server. the mail server is running on Solaris 7 (SPARC) use sendmail.

My problem:
I try to setup mail auto reply use "vacation" program, and I find that I only work when people in the NIS+  domain send mail to the user,  but it will not work when the organization email address is used.

eg, let say the department mail server is tiger.mm.abc.com, [email protected] is an aliases point to [email protected].

The vacation program will not work if people send email to [email protected], but it works with [email protected]

Any idea how to fix it.

Alternative solutions are welcome, eg, shell script etc, I just want this email  auto-reply to work.

PS: I have also tried  the vacation.pl (perl script), same problem.

Answer : Email auto-reply problem (vacation program)

As per request, this question will be placed in PAQ.

Thanks all,
ComTech
CS Admin @ EE
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us