Question : Connecting 2 routers over a long distance?

Ok, here's the deal.MY friend and I want to share files wirelessly over about a mile distance. I bought 2 Netgear WGT624 routers. I figured they would be good for long distance because they have -105 db receive sensitivty and 100mW transmit power. Mind you, I don't really know about wireless, so bear with with me. I planned to make two Cantenna's and put them on our roofs, with the routers in the attic. Anyways, here's my question, can these two routers connect to each other? I have a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router and my Netgear Wireless is plugged into it, via the Lynksys's lan port. IF these wont work, what should I buy? Should I keep one router? Thanks.

P.S.- We dont need to share internet connections, just files on our PC's.

Answer : Connecting 2 routers over a long distance?

Here is a link to a pre-made 14 dBi Yagi antenna for $65.  I have seen many similar antennas for sale and it might save you a lot of time and questions about whether your antennas are working properly if you are having trouble getting a good link.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/14eleyagi.php

Ultimately, yes, you can probably do it, especially if your friend with the experience is able to assist.  Things you want to look for in a wireless router/access point for this type application is the ability to change the power output (for FCC compliance), ability to run in wireless bridge mode rather than access point and client, ability to use external antenna (though most do), availability of power over ethernet adapters if you want to place the router outside in a waterproof box (with the transformer inside), reliability, and the ability to see the signal strength from the router.  I really miss the signal strength and quality meters when dealing with bridge links between routers that don't support that feature.

According to this converter:100mW power output = 20dBm
http://www.swisswireless.org/wlan_calc_en.html
100mW power output = 20dBm

According to this calculator:
http://www.ydi.com/calculation/som.php
At 2400Mhz, 1 mile distance, 20 dBm TX power, 14 dBi TX antenna gain, 14 dBi RX antenna gain, -83 dBm RX Sensitivity (Average), and 1 bB TX cable loss (1.5 feet standard cable), & 1 dB RX cable loss you will have a theoretical system operating margin of 25 dB above reference noise (25-30 is the design target for a stable link).  Note that this only includes 1.5 feet of cable lead at each antenna.  You will need high quality coax cables if you want to use longer antenna leads.  Be careful here, long antenna leads can destroy your link quality fast.  That is why the routers are typically located outdoors on the mast in this kind of application.

As for the FCC, I stand corrected.  There ARE different limits for point-to-point using directional antennas.  You are allowed up to 30dBm or 1 watt of Transmitter Power Output (TPO) with a 6dBi antenna, and for every 3dBi of antenna gain over a 6dBi antenna, you must reduce the TPO by 1dBm.  So, with a 100mW / 20dBm transmitter you can use up to a 36 dBi antenna.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us