Question : Setting up Cisco VPN 3005

Hi all,

I just purchased a Cisco VPN Concentrator 3005 and am having trouble getting it to work. Here's my current config. We have an Internet T1 that goes into an Intel router. From there it goes to a Sonicwall Firewall. After that, it goes to our switch and then out to our internal network. My question is where is the best place to put the VPN Concentrator? I figured the private port would plug into the switch and I gave it an IP of 192.168.0.7 and the public needs to have an Internet IP, but where does that plug into? The switch also? Or do I need to have another switch that has the Intel router plugged into it and it  bypasses the firewall? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Answer : Setting up Cisco VPN 3005

Actually a VPN can be setup behind a firewall, in front of a firewall or parallel to a firewall.  Parallel would be the most common since it is the most simple to do.

trusted network----firewall-------switch----router----ISP
           |                                      |
            ---------concentrator--------

You will need a static pblic IP address assigned to the concentrator.

The second most popular configuratio would be to have the concentrator in front of a firewall or screening router.  This allows you the distinct advantage of adding another layer of access control/filtering.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us