Question : DNS request timed out - request to unknown timed-out.

Hi folks,

I have a group of servers on a separate domain from the corporate domain. Everything is firewalled and locked down.

I cannot ping the outside world from any of these servers.

There is one which has an external IP address and I can remote desktop to it from anywhere using the external address. I can also remote to it internally using the internal address even though I'm on a separate subnet to it.

I now have a requirement for a mail server for these group of servers. There will be mail redirections and multi-domain stuff so I have chosen ArgoSoft Pro, rather than simple IIS 5 Virtual SMTP.

I can now send email from anywhere to the domain served by this Mail Server and it ends up in the correct mail box. Excellent. However, when I send email from any of these servers to say [email protected] I get DNS timeout.

The twist is, I have bee kindly granted permission to use the two corporate DNS servers which are external. I noticed the IP addresses we use on all our corporate machines are slightly different from the NS reported by dnsreport.com. For instance, say we use 194.169.2.100 and 194.169.6.100, the NS reported by dnsreport.com are 194.169.2.220 and 194.169.6.220. Should we be using the numbers reported by dnsreport.com?

Anyway, when I run dnslookup from my mail server, I get the following:

H:\>nslookup
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 194.169.6.100: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 194.169.2.100: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server:  UnKnown
Address:  194.169.6.100

> bt.com
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  194.169.6.100

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

What could be responsible for this? Please help.

Answer : DNS request timed out - request to unknown timed-out.

Is the firewall filtering DNS querries/responses ??

harbor235
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us