Question : nslookup showing - *** Can't Find server name for address <Our Perfered DNS Address> Non Existent Domain. Help please

Good Morning,

Thisis my question = when I type nslookup I get  - *** Can't Find server name for address Non Existent Domain".

I know naff all about DNS so please trweat me like a newbie to the subject..

On all server and work stations - however the network appears to be working.

We run a Windows 2000 system with 7 servers all on SP4, the network was install by a consultant and I am sure it's not configured properly.

I am getting Event ID 1000 - source  Userenv in the event log every 2-15 mins
with a description "Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722)."

I have search on Eventid and come up with the following..

Value 1722 (Error code 1722) = "The RPC Server is unavailable" - Usually occurs when DNS servers are not configured properly. There is connectivity but not at the service level. See the M260371 link below for troubleshooting such issues. One note here, usually it may appear that DNS is set properly but one has to double-check all the aspects of DNS registration/resolution as the problem may not be that obvious. See also M261007 - It says that this behavior can occur if the address for the configured preferred DNS server on the client is invalid or unreachable.
From a newsgroup post: "Do the following to ensure that the SRV records for the AD servers are in DNS properly: (from the DOS prompt)

nslookup
set type=srv
set type=srv
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.YOURDOMAIN.COM
Server:  dnsserver.yourdomain.com
Address:  192.168.100.2

you should see something like this:

_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.YOURDOMAIN.COM       SRV service location:
          priority       = 0
          weight         = 100
          port           = 389
          svr hostname   = server1.YOURDOMAIN.COM
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.YOURDOMAIN.COM       SRV service location:
          priority       = 0
          weight         = 100
          port           = 389
          svr hostname   = server2.YOURDOMAIN.COM
server1.YOURDOMAIN.COM       internet address = 1.1.1.2
server2.YOURDOMAIN.COM  nternet address = 1.1.1.1

If you don't then you definately have a DNS problem.

Answer : nslookup showing - *** Can't Find server name for address <Our Perfered DNS Address> Non Existent Domain. Help please

Hi
Could be you don't have a reverse lookup zone configured. In DNS on your server right-click reverse lookup zone - select New Zone. Make sure it and the rest of your DNS is active directory integrated and in the network address enter the first three octets of your subnet - 10.0.0 or 192.168.0, then next and finish.

Nslookup won't work without correctly configured a reverse lookup zone on the dns server

Deb :)

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us