Question : Domain membership test ...... Failed

Hi.

I'm in the process of remplacing an old Active directory server (Windows 2003 SP1) with new hardware. My environement contain a single DC on a single domain.

I got my new server loaded with Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 and updated my schema using ADPREP. Everything went good on this point.

Then I followed the steps at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555549/en-us . I joined the new server to my domain, promoted it to a domain controler in an existing domain, promoted it to a global catalog server and rebooted it. I installed DNS server and replication of DNS zones took place. I switched the 5 FSMO roles. I changed the DCHP DNS server address to my new DNS server. Everything went well at this point.

When I tried to remove the global catalog from the old server, I did not got any error messages but about 30 minutes later a got a call from a user saying that he was not able to connect to the Exchanger server (2007) so I checked back the mark for my old server to be a global catalog server ans I start to investigate.

The netdiag /fix give me only one FAIL
Domain membership test . . . . . . : Failed
    [WARNING] Ths system volume has not been completely replicated to the local
machine. This machine is not working properly as a DC.

I did try to manually force replication in Active Directory sites and Services --­  First site by default -- Server name -- NTDS Settings and I did Replicate now. Even after doing that, the netdiag /fix still give me the same error.

I would appreciate any help with this issue.

-Martin

Just to avoid any confusion, both the new server and the old server does not have the same computer name. Also, After promoting the new server to a domain controler, I did not make sure that replication has took place before switching the 5 FSMO roles (if this can be an issue)

Answer : Domain membership test ...... Failed

i am betting you are dealing with a dns issue.
check that both servers are using the same dns servers.
check that both servers can ping each other by name, and ip address
try to connect to each server by unc name   ie \\server\share
the answer will be in there somewhere.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us