Question : Remote Desktop Connection over Linksys RV042 VPN tunnel

I have two Linksys RV042 Cable/DSL  VPN routers at work and at our remote location.  I  can connect the two locations over The Linksys VPN, and I can ping the remote server and get a response.

The problem comes when I try to connect to the server from my XP laptop at work to the remote Windows 2003 server with Remote Desktop Connection.   I keeps getting a "Cannot conect to the remote computer" messsage.

I've made sure that the 1723 and 3389 ports are open.  I've even set up both sides with all ports open, again I can connect with the VPN tunnel and ping without a problem.

If I take my WinXP laptop to the remote location and connect locally, I can Remote Desktop to the server without a hitch.  I am not partial to the idea of the Web remote connection since it requires IIS, and I'm trying to keep the remote server lean.

I'm at a loss as to what to check next.

Answer : Remote Desktop Connection over Linksys RV042 VPN tunnel

> Today at work I ran RDP and got the RDP screen! (yay!), but no desktop,(phooey!).

I am not sure what results you had here.  Were you able to enter you credentials and get authenticated?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us