Question : Edit HKEY_CURRENT_USER Registry key with a Group Policy Object

I have been struggling with this for a bit now and am nearly fed up. This is what I would like to accomplish.

1. Modify a setting in IE6--> Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Print background colors and images. By default this option is not checked.
       a. Registry Key= HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main   valuename = Print_Background  which I would like to be set to "yes"
2. Deploy this via GPO as a custom .ADM to the entire domain.

This is what I have been able to come up with so far

CLASS USER

CATEGORY "Custom"
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main"

POLICY "Print_Background"
  PART "Print_Background"
  EDITTEXT
  DEFAULT "yes"
  VALUENAME "Print_Background"
  END PART
 END POLICY

END CATEGORY

When I import this adm file into the Default domain Policy under "User Configuration/Administrative Templates" it seems to import without error. I modify the view/filtering settings by unchecking "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed"   I navigate to the catagory "Custom" double click on the setting Print_Background in the right hand pane and select enable and click OK. Nothing happens the setting is not applied to the Users in the domain. What am I doing wrong?

David

Answer : Edit HKEY_CURRENT_USER Registry key with a Group Policy Object

So the custom adm is added to the policy with the changes, rebooted or gpupdate'd and still no luck?

Add this custom adm to an independant group policy (call it test policy or something) and add that to your user's OU. Then refresh the policy on the machine by rebooting or gpupdate /force.
then run a gpresult and ensure that the policy is indeed applying to the computer.

Let me know the result
Isi
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us