Question : LOW COST 1 MILE WIFI INTERNET SHARING

I want to share my office internet DSL connection with my house wich is one mile away in straight sight.

I already have wifi connection in my office (Netgear WG602 54mb Access Point) and my house (Dlink DI-624 108mb router). Both wireless devices has no Bridge nor Repeater modes.

So I was looking the Linksys WAP11 for the Bridge connection. I ask a guy from Linksys (live chat from www.linksys.com) and he told me that the WAP11 can only comunicate with another WAP11.
And he also said that even if I have 2 WAP11, it can not make it 1 mile even with a proper antenna.

What I wanted to do is the following:

To buy a CHEAP wireless bridge like WAP11 that is able to connect to either my Netgear AP or Dlink router and save money buying another bridge.

A. Office--(Linksys WAP11) **** 1 mile wirelessly **** (Netgear WG602 or Dlink DI624)--home

Or if it were not possibe, then do the following:

B. Office--(WAP11) **** 1 mile **** (WAP11)--Home

So my questions are:

1. What kind of antenna should I buy?
2. How many dB should it be enought?
3. Will I need a signal booster or so?
4. Is there any other cheap bridge besides WAP11?
5. Is it possible to do the A option, B or both are possible?
6. It will be outdoor, but I think that it is not a must buying outdoor AP since I will only install the antenna outside, am I correct?

Answer : LOW COST 1 MILE WIFI INTERNET SHARING

First of all, I've used WAP11 from linksys and I was able to connect to it with some cheap taiwanese APs. I can't tell you for sure if your Netgear or Dlink APs will be able to connect to it, but I'm 90% sure they will.
What I recommend you is buying one WAP11 and see if any of your existing equipment will connect, as I said I'm pretty sure they will.

1. A 20db (maybe even less)  gain directional antenna is enough for one miule since those equipments have about 70mW output power
2. -
3. Don't use a booster, you don't need one for this distance
4. As I said, use this one, it's pretty good. I even know ISPs that provide metropolitan access using WAP11
5. A and B are possible, but I recommend you trying A as it's cheaper
6. Yes, you are correct, but one thing to keep in mind is that the cable from the AP to the antenna shouldn't be longer than 1 or 2 meters, otherwise your signal strength will lower very much. That means that you'll have to place your AP indoor but very close to the antenna, probably just under the roof.

If you have any further questions please ask.

Kronos
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us