Question : "YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THIS NETWORK RESOURCE"

Hello!
      I have the same "You might not have permission to use this network" on one of my computers.  I have one computer that I've had for 4 years, this computer's name is called "PUPPY".  I decided to give this computer to my children to use downstairs.  I bought my own computer that has all the bells and whistles attached and I decided to put it upstairs. This computer's name is "BEAST". I bought a D-Link DI-524 Airplus G 802.11g/2.4 GHz Wireless Router to allow both computers to access the internet.  This worked successfully. Each individual Ethernet wire comes off the D-Link router hub and connects to each computer.  Then I decided to set up a home network between the two computers.  When I went downstairs to run "PUPPY", everything runs perfect.  Both computers have XP HOME EDITION with the updated Service pack 2 on it.  I open up "My Network Places" from "PUPPY", then click on "view workgroup computers", I can see both computers and click on anyone of them to access all the files from "PUPPY".  When I go upstairs to "BEAST", I click on "view workgroup computers" I get "RAJ (name of the workgroup) is not accessible" message.  If I unplug one of the ethernet cables from the back of the D-Link router (the one that goes straight to "PUPPY"), then I plug it back in after 30 seconds, I can click on "view workgroup computers" and see both computers on "BEAST".  The problem is that I can access "BEAST" files from that page but not the "PUPPY" files.  I still get that "you might not have permission" jazz. I tried all that firewall disableing, guest account enabling,using same lame username and password jazz, enabled netbios over TCP/IP, I ran the two command prompts for both computers, and I renamed the workgroup.  Unfortunatly I don't have XP Professional, so I couldn't have the versatility to uncheck "SIMPLE FILE SHARING" nor "Limit local account use of blank passwords".

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Robert

Answer : "YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THIS NETWORK RESOURCE"

First things first:
In the system restore description:
Type anything (comments basically) to remind you that what stage ur system was in. Mybe "LAN notworking but internet is"?

The reason why I recommend that is that would allow you to have a one program backup of system settings.
Now the the other parts:
usually leaving the DNS and gateway to the address of your router works. (which in your case seems to be 192.168.0.1)
Try it.

In any case to return back to your original settings, it's just a matter of changing the hosts files and moving the settings back to automatic again.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us