Question : Accessing home workgroup printer using my office domain win xp laptop

First, I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere; I've found many similar discussions but no definitive answers.

I have a winXPpro laptop that I use at work, on a domain. I also use this at home to VPN into the office Exchange server & network. My home network is on a Workgroup, consisting of winXPhome PCs. (The workgroup is entitled MSHOME.)

I cannot access the printer on the home PC from my laptop. I read a similar article here on ExpertsExchange which referred to the following Microsoft KB article:
workgroups_domains.mspx">http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_concept_switch_workgroups_domains.mspx

This article discusses disjoining from your domain and rejoining the workgroup if you want to share the files that are on your domain computer with other computers in your home workgroup. It mentions that you *may* be able to share printers on other computers in the home workgroup *without* disjoining your domain, but doesn’t explain how. If disjoining is the only solution, that article explains it well enough, though this seems like a complex workaround (fraught with its own problems) to what must be a pretty common scenario.

I have tried renaming the home workgroup using the same name as my laptop domain, but this does not work. Still can't find the printer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Answer : Accessing home workgroup printer using my office domain win xp laptop

When home you must logon on the laptop with a local account. Install (or it's allready installed) file and printing sharing on the computer that host the printer. Add to local users of this computer the user from the laptop with the same password used on the laptop. Give this user the right to print to the workstation's printer. If the local user on the lapropt is administrator, his password must be exactly the administrator's password on the computer that host the printer, otherwise the access is denied.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us