Question : Shared Namespace Config not working.

We have a client that is a local office to a franchise, where the franchise provides a shared email namespace.  Our client wants to use this domain as their primary domain.  Lets call this domain shared.com
The client has several other domains that they are authoritive for.
They have two 2003 Exchange servers, one we plan to soon decommission.  I don't think it is relevant here, but I add it just in case.

I tried looking at several articles, including http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-SMTP-Namespace-Sharing.html which I found referenced in another thread on this site.

I have a user we'll call John who has a primary email address of [email protected] as well as other SMTP aliases such as [email protected] and [email protected]

I have a default policy with all the email addresses, shared.com not being primary here, and not authoritive.  If I leave it this way, and try to telnet in a message to [email protected], I get a relay error.  It's like it ignores that there are internal AD recipients for that domain.  I even have Recipient Filter turned off on the SMTP server, so I don't think the 'Filter Recipients who are not in AD' is relevant.  In any case it is unchecked.  If I make the SMTP entry in the policy authoritive, the message is accepted.  I am concerned thought that if someone within the office tries to email to one of the other franchise offices, it will bounce since the email address is not local.
I have even tried a separate recipient policy, although since the domain is not being used as primary in the default policy, I don't see it being needed.
I have read about setting up a connector.  I do have it do an MX record lookup, since I don't have much control over where non-local emails will go to get to the franchise home office for redistribution.  I also read different takes on how to set up the relay setting for the connector.  Since I am only concerned about mail leaving from an internal user, is this an issue?

Otherwise I am at a loss to get this working.

Answer : Shared Namespace Config not working.

Found the answer.  It seems you MUST enable relay on the SMTP connector created for the shared domain.  I felt that was a potential security risk, but then again it is only one domain.

Suggest not deleting the question, since others might benefit from the articles linked, and the issue that snagged me.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us