Question : Linksys Router and Westell Modem

Hey,
Recently I installed a Linksys wireless router to go with my Westell modem provding Bellsouth DSL. The Westell was set to Bridged Ethernet mode (not router mode), and the router to PPOE. I have done this same setup numerous times using various brands of broadband routers and Bellsouth provided ADSL modems (Caymen and Westell). This setup has been reliable. In fact, with the ADSL modem in Bridged mode, I have never seen the problem I am having now.

The setup worked for a couple of days, then no connection. I set it up again from scratch using the default settings for the modem and router (I had previously used non-default LAN, DHCP and subnet settings which I theorized may have been the source of the problem). Nothing has changed, it works for a few hours or a day, then no communication.

What I have found is that after awhile, there is no gateway address shown under the connection status page of the router interface. All the other WAN settings are the correct Bellsouth provided numbers, gateway is 0.0.0.0. So I click disconnect, then re-connect to refresh the WAN settings, and the gateway number is back. Then I "Repair" the network connection on the XP workstation, and all is good. For awhile. Then it happens again.

What can be done to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Bill

Answer : Linksys Router and Westell Modem

I've had the same problem with the Westell / Linksys combination.  The only thin g that I found would work is to setup the Westell to do the PPPoE, (192.168.1.254) and set the Linksys to a different subnet (192.168.20.1) or whatever.  After setting it this way, run the repair routine on the Windows Machines, and you should be OK.  However, I did end up making BellSouth replace the Modem with a NeTopia router instead, they are much better than the Westell and are much closer to being "Business Class"
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us