Question : Server Intermitantly does no respond to ping requests?

We have a few Servers in place 3 x DL380s and a couple of IBM servers.

SQL 2005 with Windows 2003 R2 is on one of the DL380s.

One nic is configured on a 192.168.1.x / 24 range and the other on a 192.168.5.x / 24 range to facilitate different functions.  The bulk of the work is done on the 1.x range with POS terminals connected to SQL via the 5.x range. The servers are all plugged into a pro curve with cat 6 cables.

We're having dropouts on the POS terminals and have to reconnect them at times.

I've run ping plotter on a non POS machine to the 5.x range and every now and then it's time out between 2 - 20 seconds.  There's only about 25 terminals connected to it on that nic.  We have HP Procurve switches in place, combo of 2848s and 2824s with the LC fibre modules connecting them all up directly.

The server itself is showing about 1-2% utilisation on it's NICs (not working very hard).

Even if I plug a laptop into the switch where all the servers are plugged into I get timeouts with the same consistancy.

I'm starting to feel the pressure on this as it's been happening for about 2 weeks now.

Is there anyone out there with any ideas at all as to how I can troubleshoot this better or have I missed something?

The SQL server doesn't appear to have any issues for desktop users whom operate applications on the 1.x range.  However the odd test here and there has suggested it drops pings ON OCCASION, far less than the 5.x range.

When running ping plotter between the servers themselves there are no dropouts of significance, only the odd 3ms ping time.

Any ideas?

Answer : Server Intermitantly does no respond to ping requests?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your efforts on this one.  I've resigned myself to just putting the pos terminals on the 1.x range for the time being as there are no connection time outs from the application on that range for some reason.

Ta
Leonard
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us