Question : Rotate Monitor and Mouse Axis

I have a client that does CAD work. He wants a very large WIDESCREEN monitor so he can do CAD work and ROTATE the monitor 90 degress so he can work on legal size documents. Can someone reccomend the best monitor and graphics card that will support this need. Also, does the mouse need to have the x/y axises fliped when the monitor is rotated 90 degrees?

Answer : Rotate Monitor and Mouse Axis

OK jtwoods4,

Here is some info for you:
Two rotating monitors mentioned at this site from a few months ago (November 2004)
At this web site  http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/tp/19inchLCD.htm
- Samsung SyncMaster 193p
- Dell UltraSharp 1905FP

And from May 2005, some info about software and adapters for rotating monitors:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/a/167369.htm
"Most monitors that are capable of rotating to the portrait mode will come with the software to rotate your desktop. Most video cards by ATi and nVidia also include this feature in their drivers. If you have a rotating monitor, but don't have the software to rotate the desktop, the solution is Pivot Pro software. This is what I'm using since my Matrox video card does not include this feature. This is usually the software that comes bundled with pivoting monitors.

If you already have an LCD monitor and you like the idea of a portrait screen, but your LCD stand doesn't allow rotation, you may still be able to pivot your screen. A company called Ergotron offers the Neo-Flex LCD Stand with pivot, tilt, and rotation features. This LCD stand sells for about US$50 and should fit any LCD monitor.

I know there are some who feel that the color accuracy for design work is still not up to par on the LCD monitors, but for me there is no going back to a CRT. I don't want to give up the crispness, clarity, desk space and energy savings that an LCD monitor provides — and with a good quality LCD on a DVI (digital) connection, the color issues just aren't as extreme as they were in the past. Whether you go with dual monitors or not, if you're in the market for an LCD monitor, try to find one that pivots. Most of the upper-end LCDs offer this now. And if you've already got a rotating monitor that you've never used in portrait mode, I encourage you to give it a "whirl!"

HTH, CajunBill
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us