Question : "Multiple connections" error when renaming a computer

I am trying to rename a computer on my name and get the following error:

Error: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.  Disconnect all prevous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

I have tried using the net use command to delete all shared resources but it doesn't seem to help.

More details that may or may not be related: This computer was a Server 2003 domain controller that failed to restart after a Windows update from our WSUS server. Windows would start to load, then fail and the computer would restart. After trying many things I finally gave up and took out the mirrored drives with the OS and replaced with another HDD and reloaded Win2003. I was unable to join the domain or use the same computer name, receiving an error similar to but not exactly as the above error, so I named it something else. I was later able to join it to the domain, but could not change the name to what it was previously with the original hard drives. Thinking that it may be an issue with the DC metadata on the domain, I then used NTDSUTIL to remove the metadata for the server and removed all traces I could find in AD sites, AD users and computers, and DNS. When I still could not rename it to the former name I tried renaming it to any other name without success. (Restoring this computer to DC status with DCPROMO is not a priority right now, but I am willing to if it would benefit the current situation. I don't see how that would help.)

It would be good to be able to rename this computer for several reasons. First, I will have to modify references to it in a lot of student logon scripts if I can't use the original name. Second, I want to use a descriptive name for the server and the one I assigned it "temporarily" was not a good choice for this.

This computer is used to store student data and there are many shared private folders on a Raid 5 array. This array is functional and the data intact, I just need to make it available to the students. A simple rename here would save me a lot of work. I have students who need this data for classes in a few hours so this is an urgent problem for me to solve. Never mind sleep or the need to teach my own classes.

Answer : "Multiple connections" error when renaming a computer

You might want to build the scripts so that there is a single location for the server name so that in the future, if you add another server, it will be easier to split the share folders.

I hope this helps !
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us