Question : DNS server doesnt show msdcs ,sites , udp and other folders

Hi,
I have windows 2000 server which is a domain controller also.
It has a static ip : 10.1.1.252 and in the prefered dns also i have 10.1.1.252.
i have installed dns service. and i have created a active directory  integrated zone.
In the DNs manager i can see my server name and when i open the forward lookup zone i can see the domain name test.(just for your information my domain name is enet without any .net or .com)

now the problem is that i cant see any msdcs , sites or udp folder inside my domain enet.
I have restarted the server , restarted the dns server and client service and netlogon service.
i renamed the netlogon.dns file also but to no avail.
I have installed and re installed after renaming the file the dns service.

I hope somebody can help me.
I have ran netdiag /fix command  and it shows the following:
Warning: cannot finda primary authoratative dns server for the name server.test.
server.test may not be registered in the dns.
re registration on dns for 10.1.1.252 failed
DNS error code: DNS_ERROR_RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE
failed to fix DC DNS entry _ldap_.tcp.test
re registration failed

and the list of error continues.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

thanks

HARRY

Answer : DNS server doesnt show msdcs ,sites , udp and other folders

server.test indicates a single label domain name.  By default in windows 2000 SP4 dynamic registration of single lable domain names does not work.  Just FYI a single label domain name would be test instead of something like test.local.  You need to add some registry keys to allow this registration to work:

Information about configuring Windows for domains with single-label DNS names
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300684

However you might have to add this on several machines depending on your setup.  If you aren't too invested in this active directory setup you might reconsider
running dcpromo again and not using a single label domain this time.  However if you have to have it like this you should be able to make it work with the above article.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us