Question : AD Domain controller two nics how to prevent dns registration of second nic ip address

I have a windows 2003 SP1 server with two nics running active directory DNS

the primary nic is configured with the ip address 192.168.3.5 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.3.1 dns 192.168.3.5

the secondary nic is sued for management and monitoring only and has an ip address of 10.0.100.1 255.255.255.0 no default gateway or dns server entries

My problem is that the second nic address keeps getting registered in my active directory integrated DNS zone for my domain controller  creating two records LSLDC01 at 192.168.3.5 and LSLDC01 at 10.0.100.1 as you can imagine that is playing hell with my directory services that rely on name lookups for conenctivity (DFS and FRS) is there anyway short of diabling hte nic to prevent it from registering the second nic in DNS?  I have unchecked "register this connections address in dns" box on the DNS tab under advanced properties of TCP/IP for the second nic and removed all "A" records associated with it ... within a few minutes it reappears in DNS again and gets replciated out to the remaining dns servers in my forest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew Roe
win2003 MCSA, W2K MCSE, W2K MCSA, MCDST, CCNA, HP ASE Proliant Servers, SCP Java 1.4, I-Net+, A+ (2003 Credentials)

Answer : AD Domain controller two nics how to prevent dns registration of second nic ip address

Your DNS server is probably listening on both addresses; by default, a DNS server automatically registers all IP addresses it's bound to, whether the checkbox in the DNS settings is ticked or not. Make sure it listens only on 192.168.3.5, and it should stop.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us