Question : Trouble adding a network printer (samsung clp-550N) to windows xp network

I am fairly new at networking printers directly to a router for use.  I am having trouble adding a working Samsung printer to an existing network.  I tried to "add a printer" and then selected Network printer, then searched for the printer; tried to type in what I thought was the \\servername\printername\; and also tried to do the http://192.168.0.102/ (printer's IP address) to get to the printer.  
Each time Win XP says it couldn't find the printer. Keep in mind that the printer is not connected to any computer with a USB or LPT port but is only connected to the Router with CAT 5 cable.  I CAN pull up a browser in any computer on the home network and type in 192.168.0.102 and access the printer and change it's name, print a test page, etc.  But there are settings in there that I don't know how to use such as IPP, WINS, etc.  I thought that all you needed to do was \\servername\printername in WIN XP to add it but maybe I'm using the wrong servername or whatever.  

Please let me know if/what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks,
J

Answer : Trouble adding a network printer (samsung clp-550N) to windows xp network

The manual is pretty worthless isn't it?  Have you installed the printer software on a PC?  It might create a samsung specific printing port to the printer as part of the setup.  Some printers do this.

I just read a Linux article related to this printer and it is a normal TCP/IP printer.  If the Samsung CD does not install a port for you try the following:  

1.  Start the Add Printer wizard
2.  Add a local printer, make sure autodetect printer is unchecked
3.  You are going to add a new printer port.  The type is TCP/IP printer.
when prompted enter the IP address of the printer.  It might like this and after a brief delay take you to the screen to select the correct print driver.  
3a.  If not it will ask you what type of print server it is.  Leave it at the Generic print server type it should already be at.  It will then go into the print driver selection screen.

The default print server type is a TCP/IP RAW printer which should work with this model printer.  

If you can't find the driver on the Samsung CD download this driver from Samsung's site:  CLP-550N PCL Driver(Beta Version) (ver.0.6).  Don't bother trying to get to this through their support site, it is pretty broken.  Instead put the exact string above in the search field.

Let us know how it works out!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us