Question : MiFi with access point for wired PC's?

Had anyone had any experiance using a MiFi from any carrier, with an access point such as the linksys WAP56G? The reason I ask is that i'd like to be able to connect a client's wired workstations to the Mifi, via a swith and AP. The client can't get regular DSL, cable or anything other then satillite in their area. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but i've no actual experiance trying it.
Thanks in advance!

Answer : MiFi with access point for wired PC's?

Well, I have not used (or even seen, other than in ads) any MiFi units yet... I've used a Novatel card in a Kyocera KR1 (made by DLink), which has a plug for automotive DC jacks (formerly called a lighter socket) to make it portable, which is essentially a component MiFi without the 5-connection limit for over a year now, though. The KR1 has both wireless and RJ45 LAN jacks, though... as far as I know, the MiFi units are wireless and USB only. When the USB connection is used, the wireless is disabled.

To address your specific question, I assume you mean a WAP54G, as I've never heard of a WAP56G. First, the WAP54G with the stock firmware will talk only to another WAP54G in AP Client mode. Second, even if you installed DD-WRT firmware on the WAP54G to make it talk in AP Client mode to the MiFi router, I'm not sure that would get around the 5-connection limit... but that should at least make it possible to connect 1 client via wire using a WAP54G without disabling everyone else's wireless by using the MiFi's USB port. If you also added a switch, as mentioned, every wired client you added would reduce the wireless client count by one.

While that setup may well be made to work, you might be better off using a unit engineered to work with a MiFi in tethered mode from the manufacturer... e.g.
some of Cradlepoint's offerings, such as the CTR350
http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/ctr350-mobile-broadband-router
et al, already work with the EV-DO MiFi 2200. Whether or not they'll add support for the GSM/HSDPA MiFi 2352/2372 models, I do not have a clue. You would connect the MiFi unit to the Cradlepoint via USB (disabling the MiFi's 802.11g), and use the WiFi and LAN port[s] of the Cradlepoint router, which should get rid of the intrinsic 5-connection limit of the MiFi unit.

Of course, if you already have the WAP54G, it shouldn't hurt anything to try it before spending money on a Cradlepoint or some other router (Draytek units support quite a few USB tethers, also).
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us