Question : printing in ubuntu

Hi,
just wanted to know how to set up printing in ubuntu.  I actually went through the steps but keep getting printer sharing access denied so when i went to the network places area and saw the name of my windows workgroup, i tried to open it but nothing comes up.  When i went to do the printer setup however it finds sharename of printer under the pc and workgroup name.  Is there an initial setup i'm missing to enable windows network access?  I've disabled all windows firewalls as well.  thanks.

Answer : printing in ubuntu

Hi,

what i did was first see if i could map a drive to the windows pc attached to the printer i needed.  I couldn't do it in places, network within ubuntu since i think there is a problem with workgroup browsing when using nautilus which i read.  I then connected by using ip address instead and input the share name and user login that i created in the windows local accounts.  I was able to authenticate after putting in password which i was prompted to do.  I then did the same for the printer install by using the ip address and share name.  What was strange was that i could browse to the printer share but it would keep getting the printer share inacessible error when i tested the verify button.  After using the ip address instead, it would verify right away.  Printing worked fine afterwards.  I've only used ubuntu for a week now and never had installed printer so didnt know about all the samba stuff as well.  Thanks for the info, i will take a look at it as well.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us