Question : Backup NIC priority server connecting over wrong NIC to backup server

I am trying to ensure a backup product uses the second NIC on a windows server std 2003 SP2 server at the moment although the metrics are set to automatic and the backup server is only 1 hop away over the second NIC (the over the primary NIC the backup server is 2 hops away)  the server still connects to the backup server over the primary NIC and I have reset the bindings to put the secondary at the top of the list.

NIC 1 has an IP Addr, subent mask and default GW defined
NIC 2 has an IP Addr, subent mask defined
Both NICs are onboard, same type and same speed 1GB (and connected) both can reach the backup server (I disabled the NICs and then pinged and tracert'ed the target Backup server). But with both NICs enabled I still get the primary NIC moving all the data to the backup server.
I have flushed the DNS cache.

Any Ideas

Answer : Backup NIC priority server connecting over wrong NIC to backup server

The issue is that you can only have 1 default gateway.
Try adding a static route pointing to NIC2's subnet.

For example:
Assuming NIC2 is on the 10.2.2.0/24 subnet; the router for that subnet is at 10.2.2.1; the device you want to get to is at 10.3.3.3

At the command prompt-
route -p ADD 10.3.3.3 MASK 255.255.255.255 10.2.2.1

Note that you'll need a route back. Whatever the router is for the 10.3.3.0 subnet will need to point back along the same route.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us