Question : DNS crashing on SBS 2003

I am hitting a brick wall with a DNS issue at a client and could use any suggestions.

Problem  DNS stops functioning approximately 2-3 times per day. It restarts itself but is still causing momentary loss of connectivity to the server and internet.

This has apparently been an issue since before we took over this client as there was evidence of a DNS hot fix from Microsoft and a folder on the desktop with DNS hot Fix info in it. The KB article referenced in the hotfix was KB 837088. I have corrected several troublesome errors on the server in hopes that it would or could be related to the problem but it has only fixed those specific issues.

I have so far

1)      Verified DNS is properly configured on the NIC
2)      Made sure there is only one active NIC
3)      Moved DHCP from the firewall to the server
4)      Properly configured DNS Dynamic updates on clients in DHCP
5)      Ran the CEICW
6)      Confirmed DNS is properly configured (All Zones are present , All SRV records there etc&)
7)      Run both DCDIAG and NETDIAG and confirmed there are no errors (multiple times)
8)      Changed the DNS zones from AD integrated to standard and back to AD integrated
9)      Tried DNS in both AD integrated and as Standard zones for 24hrs each (currently AD integrated)
10)      Disabled the DNS client service on the server (probably no effect but worth a try)
11)      Disabled the RRAS service
12)      Run the CEICW numerous times to set the DNS to SBS 2003 config
13)      Researched the specific errors in the event logs and applied the suggested fixes

Step number 13 has eliminated all but 2 errors

The only ones left are an error in the Application log

Error Event ID 100
Faulting application dns.exe, version 5.2.3790.4460, faulting module dns.exe, version 5.2.3790.4460, fault address 0x00018932.
Which isnt a great deal of help.

And in the DNS logs

Information Event ID 113
The DNS server could not signal the service "NAT". The error was 1168. There  may be interoperability problems between the DNS service and this service.

I have now disabled the RRAS service hoping to see some change.

Any suggestions before I make a last ditch effort and uninstall and reinstall DNS?. If this were a regular DC in a multi DC domain I wouldnt hesitate to remove DNS, demote this box and DCPROMO it but this is an SBS 2003.

Answer : DNS crashing on SBS 2003

If that doesn't work uninstall DNS and reinstall it after rebooting.

Make sure you make a not of forwarders etc then do a DCDIAG /FIX to put all the DC DNS entries back and then run the connect to Internet wizard in the Server Manager todo list.

Shouldn't do it any harm
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us