Question : Migrating local profiles to AD profiles

What tools are proven when used to migrate local user profiles on a workstation (that authenticate to Netware File Servers) to a Active Directory domain user profile on the same workstation?

Answer : Migrating local profiles to AD profiles

Here is the howto I used when going from local profiles to AD profiles.  I didn't use netware at all, but think this should at least get you going in the right direction.  By the way, the only side effect I saw from this was that the password had to be reentered in Outlook.  Other than that everything looked like it did with their local account profile.

Add to Domain
The first part is to add the computer to the new domain. To do this, click Start, then right click on My Computer, click Properties.
Select the 'Computer Name' tab. Click the Change button. Fill in the domain name, click OK. When prompted enter the credentials of a user that is allowed to add computers to the domain. You will be prompted to restart the computer after this.

Migrate profile
First login as the user to create the entry in the registry for the domain user that will use the computer. Now login as either the local administrator or a user with Domain Admin privileges.
Click Start, the Run. type 'regedit' and hit enter. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Microsoft->Windows NT->CurrentVersion->ProfileList. Now find the key that correlates to the domain user's new profile that is created. You will look for the ProfileImagePath value that correlates to this domain user. Once you find it, change that to the directory of the directory that contained the old profile. Exit the registry program now.

The only thing left is to change the permissions on that directory for the new user. Remove the old user and then add the new user with Full Control rights. Save this and your done. Now login as the new user and everything should look identical to before.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us