Question : FQDN error when sending to certain addresses.

I'm getting the error "504 5.5.2 : Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname".  I know what the error means I just need to know how I can go about fixing it.  The server is part of a workgroup so it has no FQDN.  It's running IMail as it's mail server.  Is there a way I can give it an FQDN without being on a domain?

Windows 2003 Server Standard SP2
IPSwitch Imail 2006.22

Thanks!

Answer : FQDN error when sending to certain addresses.

First, you need to determine what the DNS domain for this server will be. This is unrelated to the name of the workgroup for the server (and it is not the same thing as an AD domain). It is the domain on the DNS servers that will contain a host record for your server that maps its new FQDN to IP address(es).

Next, on the server, you will need to set the primary DNS suffix (so that it will have an FQDN, using the DNS domain you have selected) as follows:
- from a command line, enter "sysdm.cpl"
- go to the Computer Name page
- press Change to rename the computer,
- press More, and enter a primary DNS suffix, exit by pressing Ok on each dialog and reboot when prompted.

Subsequently, you will need to ensure that the new FQDN for the server is correctly registered at the DNS servers in the DNS domain.  
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us