Question : Lost nifregistry file for websphere

Greetings,

I copied my /opt/IBM folder to a new server, verified everything was okay and reformatted the old one.  When I tried to do an update today I found out that I needed the /opt/.ibm/...nifregistry file as well.

Is there a way to recreate this file?  Can I copy it from a similar server with only the base 6.1 installation?

Answer : Lost nifregistry file for websphere

I'll admit it... you forced me to look deeper... :-)

The contents of the .nifregistry aren't THAT "critical".

By this, I mean, that file is only really used when you are trying to:

- install
- uninstall
- update

any of the WebSphere Application Server related products that you might have installed on the system.

It is modified to reflect each and every update made to each version.
When I looked into the .nifrefistry on my Linux machine, and found about 120 records that was because I have:

WSAS ND 6.1
IHS 6.1
IHS 6.1 Plugin
WSAS ND 7.0
IHS 7.0
IHS 7.0 Plugin

and have updated each multiple times...  So, if you haven't really updated your Application Server, your .nifregistry file would be quite empty.

For example, if I take out all of the individual updates (which means that the Update Installer can't revert back to those levels), then the file becomes quite simple, for example, something like:

So, If you only have the Application Server, you could use this as a template, and fix the installation directory, and "last visited" attributes, and you might be all set.

Does this help?
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us