Question : what kind of server?

Hi experts,

my office is currently running novel 4.11

We are looking to upgrade our server.

here are the services we need to run:

1. fax server that prints faxes from 3 modems onto a printer.

2. some sort of backup routine

3. it must work with a normal router

4. it must work with all microsoft office files and programs, most importantly a ms access database on the networked drive.

my own personal preference is a linux server, but I don't even know if this is feasable.  My reasons are because I might eventually want to host a website, and I would certianly want a linux machine for that (the richness of resources/commands)

however, I understand the most common solution would be windows NT.

I would entertain also any other type of network ideas you have.

there are going to be 35 users on this server.

I realize some of these "prerequisites" are simple, but I am not a hardware type 'o guy.

Also, since I will be supporting and setting up this server, the ease for a beginner to be reasonably able to administer the network is very important.

Please include details of WHY I should go one way or the other so I can convience my boss.
Thanks.

Bob

Answer : what kind of server?

Bob,

I used to be the administrator for a small growing company myself, I think I am familiar with your fears.

FileZerver from Microtest(you will have to choose an OEM to purchase from because they dont sell direct) is the right choice for your File sharing/database sharing needs! It provides the security you need as well as DHCP and it is higly scalable. price wise it will run you the price of an NT server without the Licencing fees (2k to 5k). You can configure the system with IDE or SCSI drives.

T1 or DSL????
there is a big difference between those....Like $300 to $800 a month! DSL is simple equipment, T1 is very pricy... The CSU/DSU is expensive. When I was admining I let Earthlink handle the hosting of my website and email boxes. at that time it was running about $60/mo for 20 emails and about 40M of web space. the price have been slashed in half for twice as much.

Well Bob I hope this has helped you. If you have any more questions please ask, I love this stuff.

[email protected]
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us