Question : IPX lover needs help.

Ok, I'm setting up a new server, NW65sp3 for a customer. It's the only server, replacing an existing server.  The server IP is 192.168.42.10.  Mostly I've used IPX to network but we want to switch to using IP's and all that it offers. I've fought with it for a few days, and I'll be damned if I can get a DHCP and DNS server to work properly.  Mostly the DNS is going to be forwarded to external dns servers, but I'd like if internal resources for IPrint and such were available.  The internet router is 192.168.42.254.  the external dns's are...204...something something..don't have it in front of me

I've created a dns server and a dhcp server, but I'm really confused on zones, resource records, exemptions, arpa and all that.  The workstations surf fine, except they can't find internal resources for Iprint. We're not hosting any websites or anything like that, just interested in using iprint services...maybe ifolder.

Anybody find any really really simple directions, keystroke by keystroke on how to setup a simple system? My kingdom for  a resolv.cfg!

Answer : IPX lover needs help.

I recommend you create a private zone that isn't part of the IANA/ICANN TLD world - don't call it "mycompany.com" but something like "mycompany.mytree." That makes it easier if you do have a registered domain to segregate the private addressing from the public addressing.  Your DNS server should forward requests it can't resolve itself, to the public DNS server your ISP gave you.  It will cache what it finds there, so you'll want to unload/reload NAMED.NLM once in a while to refresh the cache.

"arpa" comes from the original Internet, ARPAnet, and really stands for Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is the Department of Defense agency that really got the ball rolling.  The in-addr-arpa is the inverse addressing, or reverse-lookup addressing, part of DNS.  It's another zone you need to set up in DNS.  You should set up your DNS to automatically generate reverse-lookup addressing when you add a host to your regular zone.

A resource record is an entry in your DNS database.  With the Novell DNS/DHCP Console, the only resource record types you'll probably need to concern yourself with are NS and A records.  A single IP address can have multiple A records.  The NS record defines a name server that services the zone, and generally points to the A record of the DNS server.

As part of your IP setup, you need to define your server as the SLP DA server, and have SLPDA.NLM running on the server.  DHCP should push the SLPDA server's address to the clients.  SLP is how services are "discovered" in an IP-only environment.  No more SAPs...

You should set up your DHCP server to dynamically generate DNS entries when it assigns IP leases.  

For iPrint, you just need to specify the IP address of the iPrint server, with the iPrint port and /IPP.  http://my.ser.ver.ip:631/ipp.  Maybe you don't need the port with 6.5, but you shouldn't need the name URL to access it.  For iFolder, if you want the users to be able to access it from the Internet, you'll need to NAT a public IP to your server, allowing the ports used by iFolder, or better yet use VirtualOffice as a portal to iFolder.  Whatever you want to name that has to be registered with your public DNS registrar.

I don't know that there are any simple directions.  There's too much to know.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us