Question : Pulling Ethernet Cable Through Existing Construction (Retrofit)

How do I run cable through single - multistory homes? I know how to actually pull the wire through I just need to know how the heck to get through the obstacles in the walls. Like the firewall, horizontal stud, etc.. I have all the tools needed (fish wire, punchdown tool, etc..) but need diagrams or any help from contractors on how to get the cable through the obstacles like horizontal studs in a pre-existing construction environment. Once I get the cable through I can do the boxes with faceplates or whatever no problem. Just need to know how to get by these OBSTICLE. Any contractors out there? Remember I have pre-existing construction (sheetrock). Thanks

Answer : Pulling Ethernet Cable Through Existing Construction (Retrofit)

I mainly only wire houses in the rough-in stage but I have done a few after dry-wall installation.
For single story houses it's not terrably bad unless of course you are trying to go into an outside wall then it's quite hard.
One easy way is to use the existing phone lines. Use the phone line as a pull string to pull your Cat5 cable up the wall. (attach a pull string at the same time so you can pull the phone line back down). Then terminate the network jack and phone line in the same box using a double jack plate.

If you do have to drill through the firebreaks, you can purchas drill bits upto 72"

For you two story solution, depending on the floorplan, one way may be to use outdoor rated Cat5 and go external from one floor to the other.

Hope this helps you some.

God Bless
Gary
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us