Question : DNS Zones

Hi,

We have an AD where our dns zone is delegated for domain.net. Problem is we have a few servers now that have hostnames FQDN ecgw1.domain2.com.au. These are all internal servers and Instead of changing ecgw1.domain2.com.au to ecgw1.domain.net I have to find a way to allow all internal users to resolve to this new FQDN.

When I try to add this in our DNS, which is AD integrated, it obviously attaches the DN domain.net to any host name I enter.

Is there a way to create a new zone that is not AD integrated so I can have everyone resolve to the new servers that have a different FQDN.

I hope this makes sense.

Answer : DNS Zones

Sure, you can do that.

Create a new zone called "domain2.com.au" and add each host you need to that zone.

If the zone hosts a mixture of public and private servers (servers on your LAN vs external servers) you might create individual zones for each host (e.g. a new forward lookup zone called "ecgw1.domain2.com.au"), that gets around having to create every single record you might want to resolve in your private version of "domain2.com.au".

Chris
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us