Question : '3rd parties' do it so why cant I...

OK... here is my 500 pt question.  Considering the scope, I would offer more if I could.

In my quest to uncover the path to writing an application for our field svc. professionals, I have spoken to every network provider (Sprint, VZW, Nextel, Motient, and on and on).  When I ask how I would go about writing a custom application, I keep getting the same answer... "they can get me in contact with a 3rd party (partner) who can help me with that".  What's the deal?  Why do I need a 3rd party?!  What do they have that I dont?  All that said here are the facets to the question...  

Q1:  Understaing that there are many 'tools' available to write the code, how does one go about writing a J2ME application (not a web client to browse converted pages) to access enterprise data?  Where is the doucmentation on the transports (obviously network specific), the data stores (obviously device specific), etc.?  All I see are simple HTTP connected apps that provide little or no persistence on the device.  

Q2:  Where do the 3rd parties get the information to write their middleware and why can't I.  I am beginning to think that there is some secret society that I need to discover/join so I too can be like the almighty "3rd party"!

Answer : '3rd parties' do it so why cant I...

I see they employ the same blocking tactics as the UK operators :-(

I think that the best way to try to break in is probably to find out the name of the individual with authority to provide the information and call them directly.  You probably need the technical director or one of their immediate subordinates.  If you're lucky, then this information may be available on their web site or somewhere else on the internet.

According to this web site (which, unusually, seems to be up-to-date), the Nextel Technical Director is a guy called Tom Deffet:

http://www3.gartner.com/2_events/conferences/2003/apn11/apn11_1a.jsp

You'll still need to find his phone number ;-), but if you call their head office you might be able to speak to him or get further contact details from their switchboard operator.  Don't be put off by his apparent seniority, he's still just a person :-)

Just try to be clear and brief about what you want (chances are you'll just get his voice-mail).  Then just keep calling him until he either gives you the help you need or a good alternative contact.  If he says that he'll get back to you, get a timeframe so that you know when you can contact him again.

Based on how well this works, adjust your technique as necessary to do a similar thing to VZW.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us