Question : Want to set proxy with logon script on W2K/XP without access to registry

Hi out there, I'm running a small school network w/ W2K & XP workstations. W2K and NT4 servers.

Does anyone know of a way to set the proxy settings for IE using a logon script having access to the registry disabled ? It's a piece of cake to add the needed registry patch if the registry is left accesible, but I want to be able to disable access to registry.

Any help appreciated !

Answer : Want to set proxy with logon script on W2K/XP without access to registry

Firstly, here's a link about creating a System Policy: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318753

Basically: create your policy; save it as NTCONFIG.POL; copy it to your NETLOGON shares.

In answer to your questions:
1. You will need to use a custom .adm (policy template) file. This allows you to define which values are manipulated in the registy. The standard MS ones are written so they only work with Group Policy, but we can fix that ;-) This is not too tricky, and we can revisit this after you have the system policies working.
2. Not sure what the "NT4 policy tweak" is that you refer to... I am not aware of any policy-related settings that would have the effects you described. Can you please supply details? Where did you hear about it?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us