Question : Weak and lost wireless connections

I am trying to pick up a wireless connection from an adjoining building. There is only about perhaps 50-75 ft. between offices. However, there is up to two metal doors plus two concret block walls. I get a poor signal just inside the first metal door but loose the signal after just 6 feet. What can I do to pick up the wireless connection better?

Answer : Weak and lost wireless connections

1. Amplify at source ... use high power antennae on the transmitter
2. Amplify at target, use a re-transmitter.
3. Lateral thinking, use mains based network links.

High gain antennae will increase the transmitted power and so make a stronger signal apparent in the other building.  Using focussed antennae will also have a similar effect as more of the power will be directed to the other building.

Amplify at target, you can pick up the weak signal inside the door and re-transmit on a different channel so that it can be seen much further into the second building.  SImilarly you can use high gain antennae and or directional ones, (assuming it is not a laptop).

Wired via mains system, can still be encrypted to make it secure, but now as long as both buildings are on the same mains system then it ought to work, (I use this in a domestic context where it definitely works).  I also have high power aerials on the wireless router as a fallback for when I am walkabout rather than static.

A last possibility is that there is co channel interference ... but it sounds as though teh issue is power in this case.

Regards
Chris
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us