Question : Renaming Servers in Active Directory

I currently have a server called server1 as my PDC in a server 2003 environment. This server1 is acting up and I would like to demote it and promote another server to take over for it. I was asked if it is possible to rename the new PDC from server2 to server1 so that we dont have to hit each and every pc to remap shares etc... Currently server1 is running DNS and DHCP which server2 will be taking over. Would there be any issues with renaming server2 to server1 to avoid having to remap each and every pc?

Answer : Renaming Servers in Active Directory

You don't need to rename the server.
Demote server1.
Promote server2.
Setup the DNS and DHCP on server2.
Create a DNS alias for server2 and call it server1.

When server1 is available again, then you can remove the DNS alias...and your network will be back the way it was before.

You then won't need to change any network mappings provided that the shared exist on server2.
You will also need to check the permission on the folders to ensure that the users have the correct access to the folder.

Renaming a Domain Controller is generally not advised. In the Domain Model, each server has a Unique SID which is created when the server is initially setup. Any changes to the server afterwards does not change the SID's. Potentially you could end up with more issue that what you started with.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us