Question : I need advice on suitable UPS for my Compaq Proliant 1600 server

Hi

Can some one advice me on a suitable UPS for my Compaq Proliant 1600 server?

I think the WATTS of its power supply is 362..

is thhis Belkin UPS on this link suitable? http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/44776/WW/BELKIN_UNIVERSAL_UPS_SERIES/index.htm

I am confused some how because the when I spoke to Tech support of this company that sells UPSs they said to find out a suitable UPS find the WATTS of your server's power supply and multiply it by 1.43 and then you will find out what UPS you need

then I spoke to APC tech support about this APC 420 Back-UPS I have and they said to find out wether it will do the job divide 420 by 1.4 and that will tell you....

Please advice

Thanks all

Answer : I need advice on suitable UPS for my Compaq Proliant 1600 server

OK, first off, the BackUPS is NOT suitable for a server. Doesn't matter what model of BackUPS.

You need what APC calls a "SmartUPS". It comes with an interface, cable and software to allow the server to talk to the UPS. Personally, I do NOT use the network-based connection - what happens if the power outage gets a critical hub/switch? I wire my servers directly to the UPS, that way I *know* they can talk.

The UPS needs to tell the server when the power is out, and how much battery power is left. The server uses that info to decide if it needs to shut down gracefully.

EmpKent is correct that you need to consider questions of how long you want your server to run and what other devices need to be powered (I specifically recommend you do NOT attempt to power a laser printer). The answers to those will determine the SIZE, or power, you need in the UPS.

Most UPSes are rated in Volt-Amps, or VA. Multiple the wattage of your server's power supply by 1.43 to get the VA it needs. P(w)*1.43=V*A. Most USP companies will publish tables showing the duration of power a given UPS model can deliver at a certain load.

But you need to make sure the UPS can talk to the server and the server can use that information to decide when to shut itself down.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us