Question : Need help with my Veritas backup...

I'm using Veritas' Backup Exec 8.0 with it's most current build. I have it on an NT4 server with sp6a. Here's the problem: EVERY backup that runs will freeze right in the middle and crash the server. At first I thought it was my tape drive. I was using a Seagate drive connecting through the SCSI controller. It would freeze if I was backing up the Exchange directories or the data directories or anything. I tried backing up certain directories by themselves to make sure it wasn't a file giving the problems but that didn't work. So I thought my tape drive was bad. I got a new HP DAT24 external drive and even connected it to a different SCSI controller. That still didn't work! It still froze. I used the HP drivers and even the Veritas drivers that are suggested with Backup Exec. Nothing seems to work. Veritas' tech support is absolutely dreadful. Please help...These are the only things that I see in the Event Viewer.

Event ID: 1    Source: afaport
Type:  Error   Category: none
Description:  \Device\AFA0: edule through fast. Controller Battery needs reconditioning.

It sounds hardware related. But keep in mind that it is a different tape drive on a separate SCSI controller. The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2400. Thanks guys...gals...

Answer : Need help with my Veritas backup...

Check the permissions on each directory. If the administrator can't access the directory, then the backup account won't either. Also, make sure the open file option is set to "if no open file option, then never."  This will work...

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us