Question : Remote control using pcAnywhere without a static IP

Hi,

Wasn't sure whether this should be under Apps or Networking but I think it is more a general question regarding remote control so I went for here.

Essentially what I want to do is to be able to control the Office PC using pcAnywhere from wherever I have a connection to the internet.

The Office PC is connected to a DSL broadband internet connection through a router. So it has an IP of 192.168.1.2. It is running Windows 2k.

The routers IP address is non static (at least I presume so because I haven't paid for a static IP).

Here are some of the possibilities that I have come up with while looking at this problem:
1) Port Forwarding....pcAnywhere uses 2 ports so I could tell the router to always forward these to 192.168.1.2......however without static IP for the router I think this will cause trouble....Also if I wanted to remote control one of the other machines in the office this would not work.
2) VPN.....Connect to the network using a remote access/vpn server and then become another node on the network allowing simple remote control....(Note that it is a peer to peer network)....Is this solution kind of doubling the problem or doing the same thing twice
3) Put the PC in the DMZ using the router (just saw this option on the router no idea whether it's suitable or not)
4) Use the routers virtual server capabilities. (again...just saw this option on the router no idea whether it's suitable or not)

Any suggestions or ideas most gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Answer : Remote control using pcAnywhere without a static IP

PCAnywhere with
Dynamic IP! http://www.gwy.org/pca.html
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us