Question : groupwise and smtp/mime gateway

I just setup Groupwise 5 with the 4.1 smtp/mime gateway.  I am able to receive smtp mail, but when I send smtp/internet mail from the groupwise client the smtp gateway changes the outbound address from [email protected] to skoch@mil.  Needless to say, the gateway passes it off to my mail relay host and sendmail kicks it back to the smtp gateway.  I created the resolv.cfg and entered the domain nctsw.navy.mil and dns's.  Under the foreign id field for the smtp gateway I entered groupwise.nctsw.navy.mil which is the fully qualified hostname for the smtp gateway (it's registered in the dns w/ mx record etc...)  Any idea?

Steve Koch
[email protected]

Answer : groupwise and smtp/mime gateway

Try this, send mail to : SMTP:"[email protected].mil"@groupwise.nctsw.navy.mil

SMTP being what you called your gateway in groupwise, in quotes being the real internet address of the person to recieve the mail
then the fully qualified NDS name of the gateway. If the gateway
is working internet mail should be sent though it. If this works then the problem is in how you set up the foreign id field. Also check your config file for the gateway. There are two ways to tell the gateway where to send and recieve mail, the /hr and /hn
I don't know if I have the switches right but one uses the IP address and the other uses the DNS name. Use only one of these, I always use the IP address. Once you can send mail out and if you can't recieve mail then the problem is in the MX record.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us