Question : Moving from one Netware 6.5 server to a new server...

Netware 6.5 sp6 network with three servers.  I just want to move all from old hardware server "A" to new hardware server "B".
After reading some on this, it seems that I should use the server consolidation utility.  Setup new server with sp7 and install sp7 on old server to get same versions.  Do I setup the new server from scratch with different ip address, server name, and tree?  If so, when the consolidation is over, will the ip address, server name, and tree get changed?  Confused.
Server A (older hardware server)
- holds master replica edir
- ndps printers and agents
- user data volumes
- dhcp server
- slpda
Server B (new hardware server)

Answer : Moving from one Netware 6.5 server to a new server...

Yes, what you do is you set it up using the "pre-migration" profile.   Give it a different IP, a temporary tree and a temporary name.  Use an overlay CD set or overlay DVD to do the install, rather than using an original CD and applying the SP afterward.  That'll give you the best odds of not having hardware driver issues with your pre-migration install.

You'll sign on to both trees from your server migration tool console, transfer the data and identity from the old to the new, and when it's all done the old will shut down and the new will restart using the original identity of the old one.

I'm not sure if the current migration tool will migrate NDPS nicely or not.  Everything else should work.

Be sure to start with a clean, error-free eDirectory, and do a repair of server addresses on each server afterward to make sure the new server's MAC address gets populated throughout.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us