Question : Dynamic DNS query

Hi All

I work in an organisation that uses non-AD integrated DNS.

If I build a new server, then it is registered in DNS with the A record, but the PTR is not registered unless I manually add it.

I was wondering if there was any security reason for this?

Also, if A records were only registered manually too, would this break anything? I assume A record *have* to have dynamic updates, esp for workstations?

Answer : Dynamic DNS query

"...there was any security reason for this..."

No security reason at all. I wouldn't worry about allowing the PTR record to be created for the records internally.

If you were hosting your own Reverse DNS record zone for your public DNS, I could understand this being a potential issue. However, any public nameservers you host should not be Windows-based, should not be domain members and should be located in the DMZ, so you've got a bigger security problem with or without the PTR record issue if you are doing this!

"...if A records were only registered manually too, would this break anything..."

It won't break anything - you just give yourself a lot of administrative overhead. Over time, if the records are not maintained properly, the IPs on workstations and other devices (particularly if they are assigned by DHCP) will become outdated and your DNS will become a mess.

-Matt
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us