Question : Please make this simple CNAME & DNS

I need some help understanding what I need to do on the below  please, Thanks Alex

This is a fully qualified domain name which you wish to map to your help desk. Use this feature to map eg. support.mybusiness.com to computerservicesltd.zendesk.com, so your users can access your help desk via a familiar URL. The domain name listed here will also be used in links inside emails sent from Zendesk.

Once you've added the host here, you must also create a CNAME DNS record that points support.mybusiness.com to computerservicesltd.zendesk.com. Your system administrator knows how to do this.

Answer : Please make this simple CNAME & DNS

"helpdesk.mydomain.co.uk" is the easiest, in my opinion, cause it's just a simple DNS change.

But if you want the syntax you desire and to mask the URL, then the only way I know how to accomplish that is with a CNAME DNS change and a webpage redirection, within IIS for example.

So, here is how I did it, with a lot of assumptions that may differ based on your environment:

- Create a CNAME record for "helpdesk", pointing to "computerservicesltd.zendesk.com"

- Assuming you are hosting your website on IIS, I created a sub-folder called "helpdesk".  Within IIS, browse to this new folder, right-click and go to Properties.  

- On the directory tab, choose "A redirection to a URL" and enter the URL "http://helpdesk.mydomain.co.uk" (thereby pointing to your new CNAME record)

Now when a user accesses www.mydomain.co.uk\helpdesk, IIS will redirect them to "helpdesk.mydomain.co.uk" which will then redirect them to "computerservicesltd.zendesk.com", and it will mask that last URL so users won't see where they really are.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us