Question : STATION 31 (TASK 6) HAS TIMED OUT ON ITS OP-LOCK (TYPE=2)

Hi there:
I have Netware 6.5 running on a new HP Xeon Server.
The workstations are all Win-XP-Pro.
Everything has the latest Service Packs & critical updates installed.

The primary application running on this network is written in Foxpro (current version-9), the software has been updated recently from Version-5.

Everthing is working fine, but...

1) The server console displays the following message all day long:
    STATION 31 (TASK 6) HAS TIMED OUT ON ITS OP-LOCK (TYPE=2)
2) Occasionally the Foxpro files get corrupted and have to be repaired.

QUESTION-1: How can I find out which user is "station 31".
QUESTION-2: What does the error message mean and how can I fix it.

Thanks,
Richie

Answer : STATION 31 (TASK 6) HAS TIMED OUT ON ITS OP-LOCK (TYPE=2)

To address the questions directly:

1) On the server console, load the MONITOR.NLM program.  Select "connections" and sort by connection number (F3 for sort menu).  Provided the user that was on "station 31" hasn't disconnected since you first posted your question, it'll be the one with a "31" in the left column.

2)  This means you're using Opportunistic Locking and there's some issue with the computer on "station 31" that's causing its oplocks to time out - like maybe a period of inactivity, or maybe a bad network connection and they keep reconnecting, or maybe you bound both IP and IPX and that, in combination with a flaky connection, is causing it to reconnect on a different protocol without closing the file.

At any rate, that is why your Foxpro databases keep getting corrupted so you have to repair them.  

And in case you were thinking it's a NetWare thing - it's not.  Opportunistic Locking is a Windoze thing, and you'd have a worse experience if you were using a Windoze server, because instead of a couple of quick settings / commands and you're all set, you have to edit the Registry on both the server and all the clients in order to disable opportunistic locking in Windoze.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us