Question : MS Excel or Word Documents on a Server Network Share Open Slow

I am running small buisness server on my network and windows vista ultimate on my workstation.  I have MS Office 2007 installed on my workstation. I have symantec corporate 10.2.1.1000 antivirus on my workstation also.
When I open any excel or word document that is located on the workstations local drive it takes 2-3 seconds.  When I open any excel or word document that is located on a map network share located on the samll buisness server it takes 7 or 8 seconds.  The opening of these files used to take longer but I found and adjusted two culprits:
1. Symantec Antivirus had network scanning options enabled so I turned this off.
2.  Indexing options.  I turned off indexing options and this allowed for my files to open quicker.

My question is:
Is there anything more I can do to speed up the opening of my files located on the server?

Answer : MS Excel or Word Documents on a Server Network Share Open Slow

Hello

I guess that's the fastest thing to do, you turn off the index, and turn off also indexing in the other computer.

Windows Vista has many discussions about slow on Networking.
That's why Vista was replaced by Windows 7

Try to go in Ms Word/Excel, Tools Menu, Options, General, uncheck [Update automatic links at Open]

My advice, use Windows XP (if re-installation may occur)

Great is our GOD.
:)
rionroc
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us