Question : Can't connect after disconnecting router and using only modem.

Hi. I have a computer running Windows XP connected to a Linksys router with DHCP then to a Cable modem. It had been running fine like this. Now, I think my router is going bad because of very slow download speeds and intermittent connection to the Internet (mostly none) and intermittent email connections. Ironically, things like ZoneAlarm still seem to connect. I am going to purchase a new router.

In the meantime, I wanted to run the PC with just the cable modem using ZoneAlarm as my firewall. I hooked it up directly, but it would not connect to the network. I ran a command prompt and tried /release and /renew after an ipconfig and it did release the IP address from the router and give the PC a new IP, but it still didn't work. I did turn off ZoneAlarm, and it still didn't work. I tried repairing and disabling and enabling (I know probably not very helpful).

As I said, I will most likely get another router, but I find it frustrating that I cannot get the Internet to work using a direct connection to the modem. It was set up directly for over a year before I inserted a router.

Thank you.

By the way, I always try to reply promptly, but I have to send this from my work computer and the other computer is at home so it may be 12 to 24 hours before I can get back.

Answer : Can't connect after disconnecting router and using only modem.

Hi Bert! not suggesting it is not the router, but the bad connections over the past days could also be the modem dying. Just saying we always assume it's our own equipment. Just keep an open mind, that it might not be.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us