Question : Configuring a Zoom X4 Adsl Modem

I Have Tried To Use My Zoom X4 Modem to Connect to the Internet But I am Only Able to Do This With The NAT Configuration Set To NAPT. I Cannot Select Either NAT or Disabled when i do i get no data transfer.

The Zoom X4 is a Modem/Gateway/Router/Firewall.

I am Wanting To Configure it so That instead of being Passive (behind The Firewall) I Am Active and able to host games and send files through my messenger to family and friends!.

Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Answer : Configuring a Zoom X4 Adsl Modem

Here is theinformation from the help page for your router/modem.  I hope it helps.  I found it here,
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q2/zoom-x4.asp
"Advanced Setup
The straight forward setup process is helped by the fact that the number of features have been kept to a minimum. The main areas that most people may need to use are the Virtual Server (port forwarding), LAN settings and possibly the DMZ (default host).

The Virtual Server page is needed if you have an application that requires explicit ports to be mapped in the incoming direction through the NAPT component of the router. NAPT or Network Address Port Translation refers to the ability to map specific ports from the Internet side of a router, to a specific port and computer on the LAN side of the router. An example of an application that often needs a port mapping is running your own SMTP mail server. A lot of people will have no need for port forwarding but any half-decent ADSL NAT router will offer the option. The vast majority of software that is used over the Internet will not require any port mapping but if you are unsure, look on the software manufacturer's website for information about running the program behind a NAT router or firewall. Web pages such as http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/specialapps.htm may also help answer your questions.

To configure a port mapping you need four pieces of information:

Public port
Private port
TCP or UDP type connection
IP address of the computer on your LAN that will be running the application.
Generally speaking, the public and private ports are identical. The screenshot shows the configuration required to enable an SMTP server running on the PC with the IP address 10.0.0.5.

The X4 unfortunately does not support forwarding ranges of ports, and is restricted to just 20 port mappings, potentially becoming a problem if you have three or four computers and these are running a range of applications that need ports mapped. One possible solution exists for a single computer and that is to have all the ports mapped to it, i.e. the DMZ option. This does however forward all unsolicited incoming traffic to that single computer, exposing it to the outside world. If you decide to use the DMZ option, it is imperative that a software firewall or other measures are put in place to secure that computer. One final option, PPP Half Bridge exists which is detailed below. This mode works by allowing just one computer to use the full external Internet IP address, which is similar behaviour to USB or PCI ADSL modems.

In common with most ADSL routers, it's possible to alter the default LAN IP address and even change the IP range used. This is useful for people who have existing LANs and do not want to reconfigure too much. In our case we review a lot of routers, and using the same IP address for all ADSL routers allows us to swap devices in a matter of seconds. Additionally the X4 allows you to turn off the DHCP server if you want to, which may be useful if you wish to run your own DHCP server on another system. The Ethernet mode option allows you to control the speed of the single LAN port, between 10 and 100Mbps speeds as well as full/half duplex. The ability to control the LAN speed is useful if you are having problems with network cabling, as often a cable will work at 10Mbps reliably while causing intermittent problems at faster speeds."

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us